Home » The Claycord Online Museum – BART’s Old Brown Carpet And Brown Seats

The Claycord Online Museum – BART’s Old Brown Carpet And Brown Seats

by CLAYCORD.com
Published: Last Updated on 19 comments

Hey, look at that, it’s BART’s old brown carpet (yes, carpet) and brown seats from way back when! Actually, it wasn’t too long ago when trains looked like this.

Who remembers this look?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

19 comments

Dr Jellyfinger January 15, 2022 - 7:43 PM

Started out looking dirty…. good idea.

Gator January 15, 2022 - 8:21 PM

Back then it was brown cause no one had to worry about feces blending in. Thats why they went blue, easy to spot and ignore

Exit 12A January 15, 2022 - 8:51 PM

Yeah, I remember those seats and carpet.
They were in a time when society had public behavior standards, people respected property, and most actually followed rules like no food or drink on the trains.
CA has significantly degenerated since then… Ask yourself why!
Answer: Permissive attitudes and policies!!!!

Snappy97 January 16, 2022 - 6:26 AM

Totally agree, never had to worry about it. I noticed a change around 2004. Thankfully I don’t commute into the city anymore.

Shulla January 16, 2022 - 8:31 AM

Amen!

BWIZZLE January 16, 2022 - 10:35 AM

Perfectly put!

Lamorinda Larry January 15, 2022 - 9:28 PM

Brown is the color of poo; BART’s number two problem.

Lari January 15, 2022 - 11:43 PM

When we moved out here in 1994, there were still lots of cars with the brown upholstery and carpeting, but at the time the blue cloth seats were more popular. I just remember marveling the first time I sat on a BART train because it was so cushy with carpet, too. Of course that’s gross. But coming from a subway system where everything was hard surfaces, I just never saw anything like it. May I just share here that I recently left a job after 25 years of BART commuting and will begin a new one that is fully remote next month (well, technically I guess it was 23 years of BART commuting as the last two years I worked fully remote. No way was I about to go back to a commute even if hybrid). I’m just so happy because after two decades, even two to three times a week on BART was too much.

Randy January 16, 2022 - 8:26 AM

… it was quieter.. people respected the trains and wouldn’t damage put graffiti on everything …you could actually get a seat and expect to have reasonable safety… today? not so much 🙁

Rolaids January 16, 2022 - 8:33 AM

The problem happened when we as a society accepted that the aesthetic standard for public amenities would shift from something resembling the seating area of an average suburban library, to something more akin to the men’s room at the Oakland Coliseum.

This did not “just happen”. This was professionally managed all the way down. BART is a closed system. They charge for admission and they even have their own police department. THEY get to decide how the trains will be furnished, how they will be maintained, and what levels of Tom Foolery and ass clownery will be tolerated. White collar geniuses have decided that the carriages should be rolling dumpsters, easy to blast out with a pressure washer. Patrons used to the back of a police car may find familiar comfort in the hard, smooth surfaces.

I recommend BART also install delousing equipment at the turnstiles. A cheerful blast of insecticide powder on ever rider might curtail some of the persistent skin conditions experienced by some of its “long haulers”.

Aunt Barbara January 16, 2022 - 7:09 PM

It started when people began to think being a fat slob was cool.

Justifiable languor January 16, 2022 - 9:53 AM

Was that before the orange?

Badge1104 January 16, 2022 - 10:04 AM

Bart in the 70s and ’80s was delightful! Visitors from the East Coast were amazed at how clean smooth and quiet it was compared to their subways.
Bart Rider was dressed in business clothes and well-mannered. Others were people dressed to go shopping in San Francisco.
It was not the cesspool of writers you have now. And that color combination of browns with wood was what most offices look like then. It was very nice

Rolaids January 16, 2022 - 8:33 PM

Cesspool of writers, INDEED! And the editors, those are the WORST! These imbicles get it half wrong and make up the rest. All this so-called “word craft” has no place on BART!

Paul January 16, 2022 - 3:34 PM

Damn! I missed out. I came to NorCal in 2015, I was comfortable and happy riding bart until my friend texted me a picture of a hypothermic needle on a bart and personally witnessed a rider with fresh 💩 on his pant sat on seat. Since then, I inspect the seat before I park my ass on the daily commute.

The Fearless Spectator January 16, 2022 - 5:40 PM

And yet our vigorously hallucinating Governor plans to dump another $4B plus into the “high speed” rail project from Merced to Bakersfield. Two cities that are not destinations, and quite frankly most people avoid.

While BART is an abysmally managed railroad, perhaps straighten it out before building another. Fire the board of directors (Therefore dumping the Woke BLM crap) and bring in people with Choo Choo train experience. It’s not high tech, it’s a railroad. Managing it is not brain surgery.

Randy January 17, 2022 - 7:39 AM

+1 +1

Original G January 17, 2022 - 10:34 AM

“The best minds are not in government. If any were,
business would hire them away.”
— Ronald Reagan

Concord Guy January 17, 2022 - 11:26 AM

The biggest problem with the cloth seats was bedbugs, which became more acute once the homeless started using BART as their daytime shelter.

Comments are closed.