Home » The Claycord Online Museum – An Aerial View Of The Crossings In The 1970s

The Claycord Online Museum – An Aerial View Of The Crossings In The 1970s

by CLAYCORD.com
Published: Last Updated on 22 comments

crossings

Fantastic picture! Thanks to Ron Stewart for sharing this aerial photo of the Crossings with us. It was taken in the mid-70s.

If you look close, you can see Ygnacio Valley Road on the right hand side, and Cowell Road at the bottom. The smokestack is there, too!

Click on the picture for a much larger view.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items

22 comments

frambley1 January 31, 2022 - 3:11 PM

I love this picture. If you look at the houses just past the undeveloped land where the lower tennis courts are now, you can see that all the houses on the street Corkwood are built. The closer side of Striped Maple just beyond that is built. That is where I grew up. I know of at least one family that bought a house new on that street that still lives there.

whome January 31, 2022 - 3:42 PM

I remember that location way before this picture was shot.

I used to play Optimist Little League there. And my brother shot a home made movie there. As a fan of Clint Eastwood, it was a western with shootings, etc. That video was lost for decades, and we found it and converted to from old 8mm no audio. It’s funny to watch it….

Cowellian January 31, 2022 - 4:42 PM

Hey, I can see the lot where my house would be built.

ConcordRez January 31, 2022 - 5:00 PM

I have a brick from that smokestack

The Professor February 1, 2022 - 7:26 AM

My sister used to call the smokestack “The Contra Costa Boner”. We still refer to it as the “CC Boner”.

I also had a friend’s dad convince me once that it was full of jelly beans. Oh, to be young and naive again!

frambley1 February 1, 2022 - 9:30 AM

The Smokestack used to have giant speakers at the top.

When I was very young it would chime at noon and 6pm, maybe that was just during summer?

Also, a local party DJ put equipment in there and played Xmas music around Xmas.

Rolaids January 31, 2022 - 5:09 PM

Much as I used to love it, they should have been required to dynamite the smoke stack before building houses.

Cowellian January 31, 2022 - 5:37 PM

The developer didn’t want to tear down the smokestack, so he went to the city to allow it to stay. Concord approved keeping it IF the developer removed the bricks and sealed the cement. He didn’t do either, and Concord NEVER checked. The homeowners weren’t even informed that there had been a deal.

ChuckStir January 31, 2022 - 5:51 PM

I agree, I always thought if we had a large enough earthquake would that structure stand.

Cowellian January 31, 2022 - 6:57 PM

Concord refused to grant a demolition permit for the stack until their own engineers gave them a map showing how many people would die, depending on which way it fell.

Dr Jellyfinger January 31, 2022 - 8:21 PM

I enjoyed sturgeon fishing in Suisun Bay and could always see the Cowell smokestack wayyyy over there in Concord!
It was cool because I lived in that neighborhood back then (early 80’s)

nytemuvr January 31, 2022 - 10:50 PM

@Dr Jellyfinger…I used to look at the Concord “C” and think the same thing. It was a beautiful view, with Mt. Diablo in the background, sitting on the east end of the ships over the clam beds on the out going tide waiting for a hog to pickup your line. Full moon nights made for an exceptional view.

Dr Jellyfinger February 1, 2022 - 7:56 AM

Geez nytemuvr…. that was beautiful.

ChuckStir January 31, 2022 - 5:50 PM

From what I remember this was to be a location for a college. I remember walking through the old town of Cowell in the 60’s when it was vacant. Sad to see such a nice little town get swallowed by progress.

Cowellian January 31, 2022 - 6:48 PM

It is still a nice place to live and raise a family.

whatever January 31, 2022 - 6:34 PM

…and the orthodontist’s office in Cowell.

DodgerDog January 31, 2022 - 8:21 PM

Dr. George Chingas. I think he opened the office there in 1975 or 1976.

The Professor February 1, 2022 - 7:29 AM

I went to school with the Chingas kids. I’m pretty sure that he had that office in ’72 when we moved to the area.

reekorizzo February 1, 2022 - 8:56 AM

Dr. Chingas died from a heart attack whilst playing basketball at 50 if I recall correctly. (I used to live on Catapla Ct. by the way)

Badge1104 February 1, 2022 - 7:23 AM

I actually remember as a kid- back in the ’60s that – that there was a little town there before they cut those lots out. There was like old west type buildings, a hotel some shops and some little houses. It felt just like an old-west town to me.

Huevos Rancheros February 1, 2022 - 8:53 PM

NIMBYs wouldn’t let these homes get built today.

To Do List February 1, 2022 - 9:46 PM

Yup, if it were today with the California population of 40 million, resources stretched with drought and electrical disruptions, jammed freeways, rising prices, and so on, Yup NIMBYs would be against it.

Comments are closed.