Home » The Water Cooler – What’s the Worst Commercial You’ve Recently Seen, and Why is it So Bad?

by CLAYCORD.com
Published: Last Updated on 62 comments

The “Water Cooler Chat” is a feature on CLAYCORD.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you will talk about it.

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What’s the worst commercial you’ve recently seen? Why is it so bad?

Talk about it….

62 comments

redrazor June 13, 2022 - 12:06 PM

They are almost ALL terrible!! Why does every one in each commercial have to be either dancing of “twerking”. Also very few with anyone over 30 years old hawking products. Also I guess white folks are the new 13% when it comes to TV Ads.(?!?)

Chicken Little June 13, 2022 - 12:17 PM

Yes, if anybody were to learn about the United States by watching TV commercials, they would think that 90% of US residents are mixed-race same-sex couples.

I laughed when State Farm replaced the white “Jake” in their TV commercial with a black guy. It would have been one thing if they made a new commercial and included minorities, but to remake only that part of it was just silly.

AnimalLover June 13, 2022 - 12:26 PM

We are experiencing Life under the Rule of the Lowest Common Denominator. Old liberals and their rotting spawn.

Ricardoh June 13, 2022 - 1:01 PM

It’s the new equity thing.

Ricardoh June 13, 2022 - 1:02 PM

But don’t worry we are not being replaced.

jprcards June 13, 2022 - 2:01 PM

@Chicken Little

And the original Jake from State Farm ad where the husband was on the phone late at night and his wife walks in and clearly thinks he is talking on a “dial a girl” line or whatever was funny…

But they had to change it because Jake was white AND because when the wife said, “She sounds hideous”, her husband said, “Well she’s a guy”…..We can’t have that!

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:52 PM

… +1 +2 +3 …also, chicken little … if you listen – it’s a voice over using the original white guy’s voice with the new black actor – can’t stand it!

Snakekeeper June 13, 2022 - 12:20 PM

Haven’t seen one in years.

Exit 12A June 13, 2022 - 12:20 PM

Prescription drug commercials.
Boring. Misleading.

KT June 13, 2022 - 12:22 PM

When it comes to couples or families why can’t it be all Asian, Middle Eastern, Black, Latin instead of always having one white person. Geez, how when will the advertising market open their eyes?

All these Pride commercials. Do what you like and marry who you want to marry, but think about it, Black History Month didn’t get this much recognition. Why?

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:54 PM
Exit 12A June 13, 2022 - 7:15 PM

It’s pandering by the “woke”.

Dawg June 13, 2022 - 12:22 PM

I usually stop looking at the TV when commercials come on. I do see some commercials, but I never hear them because I hit the mute button. One of the commercials that bugs me is the MY Pillow commercial. They way the guy is hugging and fluffing the pillow seems creepy to me. Another one is a doctor promoting diet supplements, I think MD’s in commercials are total quacks and will do anything for money.

Dr Jellyfinger June 13, 2022 - 12:22 PM

Well… if the people in the commercial are anything other than a mixed race couple I won’t buy the product! We better start seeing some handicapped people in ads for something other than hearing aids pretty soon too or I’m going to quit buying anything!

Barbosa June 13, 2022 - 12:23 PM

Nothing puts me off more than woke commercials. I make note to go out of my way to avoid that product or service.

My favorite commercials were the old lite beer spots with the retired athletes. Favorites include the Boog Powell and the sight challenged umpire, Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner, and of course the Bob Uecker ones.

Cyn June 13, 2022 - 7:18 PM

@Barbosa
“I must be in the front row.” 🙂

America June 13, 2022 - 12:31 PM

Any commercial about a drug, telling you to ask your doctor about it. Why would I do that, since the commercial doesn’t even tell you what the drug is used for?

Anew June 13, 2022 - 12:47 PM

Diana Becton’s ad campaign. NYPost: “George Soros has quietly orchestrated the dark money political equivalent of ‘shock and awe,’ on local attorney races through the country, shattering records, flipping races and making a mockery of our entire campaign finance system,” said Tom Anderson, director of the Government Integrity Project at the National Legal and Policy Center in Virginia.

National Legal and Policy Center writeup: “Soros Funds Radical Activist to Elect Radical DAs”.

MoJo June 13, 2022 - 12:58 PM

The worst one I’ve seen recently was the re-elect Diana Becton ad that was playing on YouTube before the election. I found it quite nauseating and the sad part is I’m sure it convinced some people to re elect her.

The Fearless Spectator June 13, 2022 - 4:04 PM

+1.

Some folks vote for whichever name they recognize. And with millions spent on YouTube commercials, Soros was successful.

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:54 PM
Ricardoh June 13, 2022 - 12:59 PM

All of them. The pillow guy is the most prolific. Now he is selling slippers. The guy must spend his life in a studio. However I do not watch commercials. I only catch glimpses of them as they speed by at 3x.

this_that June 13, 2022 - 1:33 PM

Towels that actually work!

Gittyup June 13, 2022 - 1:16 PM

The Venus Razor specifically for the pubic area, complete with a video demo of the razor in action! Is nothing sacred? Did we really want to know this much more about this feminine hygiene activity?

You've got to be kidding June 13, 2022 - 1:24 PM

Even though being homosexual or trans is far from the norm absolutely everyone in commercials has the be of mixed race and not heterosexual. I do not respect this pandering and will not buy from these businesses.

Rollo Tomasi June 13, 2022 - 2:31 PM

And it’s sexist too! Are men to believe this ultimate tool for grooming south of the border is not for them?

Badger June 13, 2022 - 1:25 PM

Any commercial with Gavin Newsome. Or Bernie Sanders and the such

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:57 PM

+1 +10 … It’s got to the point I can’t stand to listen to Newsom… and he can’t speak a fluid sentence in 1 out of 100 – he has to craft his lies carefully , at least in his head

HappyPappy June 13, 2022 - 1:27 PM

Commercials are wasted on me, I never buy anything from any person or business that solicits me. That includes thru the mail, on line, radio, and TV, etc.

weppin June 13, 2022 - 1:36 PM

The commercial for some sports drink that shows a fit looking white guy doing a work-out, a slender white female jogging, and then a grossly overweight black woman doing a headstand. Makes me scratch my head every time.

redrazor June 13, 2022 - 3:56 PM

+1000 to weppin. How absolutely disgusting is that part of the ad!
I almost tossed up my dinner the first time I saw that!🤮😱

Led June 15, 2022 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, wokeness backfires so often. “Let’s not forget to have black women represented in our ads! And heavy people – they work out too!” “Ok, great, we will throw one black woman into our ad, make sure she is very large and in spandex, otherwise we are participating in fat shaming!”

End result: imply black women are overweight… genius work, wokesters!

The Professor June 13, 2022 - 1:37 PM

Lemu frickin’ Emu.

Annoying and unfunny. A waste of time and money.

jprcards June 13, 2022 - 1:50 PM

The Zoc Doc commercials are really annoying, particularly the one with the girl in the park dancing or whatever it is she is doing.

All the mixed race couple commercials are ridiculous and so transparent.

The Warby Parker ads. are cringe worthy with the “alternate lifestyle” actors REALLY obviously trying to push the point.

And you notice that in almost every commercial they always make the white guy a stupid, bumbling fool and the “other race” is always the smart, on the ball one. Again SO transparent.

The Wizard June 13, 2022 - 2:01 PM

Kars for Kids, can not take the singing and fake insterment playing.

The Professor June 13, 2022 - 3:08 PM

Forgot about this one. Makes me hate kids.

Obamavirus June 13, 2022 - 2:36 PM

The sports drink commercial with the black hippo sized lady upside down doing yoga. I have never been more repulsed. Also the black hoochie momma in the way too tight pants jogging in the park breaking out into a dance routine. I’m glad everybody here is aware that they are being subjected to psychological warfare by the media and woke commercials. Remember that the marxists are trying to make you feel surrounded and helpless. It is not working.

jprcards June 13, 2022 - 3:11 PM

“psychological warfare”…..Absolutely correct!

Mutts June 13, 2022 - 2:36 PM

Any commercial using rap or rap style “music”.

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:58 PM
Cowellian June 13, 2022 - 2:48 PM

I pay extra so I don’t have to watch commercials.

Captain Bebops June 13, 2022 - 3:38 PM

I do too but there are a few streaming services that are free and there is no ad-free option. Those I hit the mute button and that makes all ads look silly. There are a few paid services that don’t have enough content yet to justify the additional fee to get rid of ads. The trend in the industry is to limit the amount of ads per hour (often 5 minutes of ads max).

Cowellian June 13, 2022 - 4:42 PM

There aren’t many shows with ads that I’m willing to deal with. We recently watched the new Bosch on Amazon, and all we could do with the ads was to mute them.

Strad June 13, 2022 - 2:56 PM

All the attorney adds.

Pookie June 13, 2022 - 3:54 PM

The Stanford Health commercial that has a little girl wearing a mask on the Dr tablr, her mom wearing a mask, her Dr and Med asst wearing a mask…. going all out for a splinter. Stop with the mask crap already ! And why takes their kid to a Dr appt for a splinter…..

redrazor June 13, 2022 - 4:04 PM

A great BIG Thank You to our Mayor of Claycord.com!! for posing this question. I knew I wasn’t the only guy that is aware of this Psychological Warfare that’s been going on for the last couple of years …. and especially for all of 2022 so far. Thanks Again.

Randy June 13, 2022 - 4:58 PM
To Do List June 13, 2022 - 4:14 PM

I seriously don’t watch much TV so have no idea what most of these comments are talking about. Lucky me.

Cellophane June 13, 2022 - 4:23 PM

From reading the comments, I guess I haven’t missed much by not watching TV.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 13, 2022 - 4:28 PM

I refuse to buy insurance from pigs, geckos,emus,ducks, Snoopy or Flo.

Randy June 13, 2022 - 5:02 PM

… the ad for Malia Cohen running for controller… back to back non-stop – has no credibility in her delivery – tries to be something to all libs and obviously doesn’t understand the meaning of constituency

Bad Nombre June 13, 2022 - 6:53 PM

I can’t recall the last time that I watched TV or saw a commercial … sorry.

The Wizard June 13, 2022 - 7:41 PM

Can’t remember what’s its for. But its the one dad is unpacking a box and drops a photo of him in a rock band. And the daughter sees it and throws it down disgusted. That spoiled little brat need a good ass spanking. So disrespectful.

reekorizzo June 13, 2022 - 7:58 PM

I mute all commercials.

donk June 14, 2022 - 12:29 PM

ahh a fellow claycordian with a brain 🙂

Amy June 13, 2022 - 8:29 PM

Please stop the My Pillow ads!!!!

Chris June 13, 2022 - 11:09 PM

DVRs took care of useless commercials.

Calendar Girl June 14, 2022 - 1:22 AM

Adult Diapers

The Fearless Spectator June 14, 2022 - 10:36 AM

I haven’t see it in years, but the Shamwow guy used to remind me of a carnival barker. If Newsom hadn’t hitched his wagon to the Getty fortune, I could picture him as the Shamwow guy.

jprcards June 14, 2022 - 11:22 AM

Also any of the Medicare “help” ads….J.J. Walker, Joe Namath, William Shatner, those are bad.

Colonial Penn $9.95 plan commercials are on way too often.

Humana health plan might be the most boring ads ever made.

But nothing compares to the constant barrage of pandering to the “woke” crowd….race, alternate lifestyle, mixed race couples….it is an almost unending parade of far left agenda items.

Donk June 14, 2022 - 12:28 PM

mute all commercials and look away. Thank me later.

Pony June 14, 2022 - 8:07 PM

The MIRO commercial with the monster attacking the city. All the stupid ideas collaberated by the idiots

Comments are closed.