Home » The Water Cooler – Summer Vacations – Which One Was The Best?

The Water Cooler – Summer Vacations – Which One Was The Best?

by CLAYCORD.com
Published: Last Updated on 15 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What has been the most memorable summer vacation you’ve ever taken?

Talk about it….

15 comments

Nope! June 16, 2022 - 1:08 PM

All of them in the late 60s and early 70s when I was a kid and could take off on my bicycle in the morning with my friends and then be home by dinner. It was a great time to be a kid and very much like the movie Stand By Me!

Dawg June 16, 2022 - 1:47 PM

When my kid was little, I had a pickup with a camper, and we would drive cross-country, visiting national and state parks. Along the way, we would drive off the main highway onto a dirt road just to see where it would lead us. We discovered a lot of out of the way little places and ghost towns that nobody ever heard of.
My most memorable vacations are when I was a kid. Every summer, my dad and I would spend a week at the Russian River, just the two of us. He’d rent a cabin, and we had a great time.

ClayDen June 16, 2022 - 2:07 PM

It’s hard to pick one, but I can narrow it down to two. First was a 14 day Viking cruise in 2018 from Bergen Norway to the “top of Europe” (the Nordkapp) and then down to Scotland, finishing with a night cruise up the Thames to Greenwich, then two days in London. We spent 3 days above the Arctic Circle and saw the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen. Viking was fantastic; if the question is cruising, our answer is Viking.

The other one was the summer of 1973. My wife and I spent 11 weeks touring all over Europe, from southern Italy to Bergen. We were just finishing college and had lots of quality time together and saw a lot of Europe. We rode everywhere on student Eurail passes.

hanne jeppesen June 16, 2022 - 4:23 PM

Yes, hard to pick one. The summer of 66 I did something similar. After living in Iceland for a few months where I had friends. My 2 girl friends and a couple of guy friends, left Iceland to tour Europe, we took the boat from Reykjavik to Edinburgh and then hitchhiked through England, and proceed to France, hitchhiked to Paris, then to Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland and Northern Germany, then back to Denmark by September. That is when I decided to come to the US, Denmark seemed very small to me and I wanted to experience more of the world, So I came here as an au pair January 1967 Westport Ct. Other vacations, going back to Denmark with my daughter when she was growing up, and introducing her to my country and the places I loved, Copenhagen, Tivoli Garden and the little town close to where I grew up. Years ago I visited my girl friend in Seattle and we took a week end trip to Vancouver, loved both cities especially Vancouver. A camping trip to Big Sur and Morro Bay with my daughter when she was 13, amazing scenery, makes me realize how beautiful California is. One fun vacation stands out, I was 18 it was more of a stay vacation, my best girl friend was staying with me, and everyday we took the train or our bikes (about 10 miles) to the little beach town close to my home. Some of our guy friends was spending some days there at the camping place. We hung out and had lots of fun, couple of times we took the bus to another beach community to listen to local jazz bands. For some reason that vacation stands out, could be because I was only 18, none of us had a lot of money, but we manage to have a lot of fun anyway, and for once which is not always the case the summer weather in Denmark cooperated it was nice and warm as was the water.

The Mamba June 16, 2022 - 2:24 PM

One summer in college, I stayed at my grandparents house on Nantucket fixing things up and helping paint, sailing and fishing and let’s just say getting to know the locals. I miss my grandparents and my time there very much.

Randy June 16, 2022 - 2:40 PM

… dirt bike riding in the desert out at Jawbone Canyon 🙂

RoRo June 16, 2022 - 2:54 PM

Last one I ever saw at the Pavilion was Tina Turner, with Cyndi Lauper opening for her.

Dorothy June 16, 2022 - 3:58 PM

First time I drove across the country. Did sight seeing, visited friends and relatives, Niagara Falls (before you had to have a passport), Williamsburg, VA, Arkansan diamond mine, and different spots on the way back.

hanne jeppesen June 16, 2022 - 4:53 PM

Dorothy, Sound like fun, something I always wanted to do, never could manage to take that much time of. How long did it take you and did you drive back as well? How many states did you visit?

Dorothy June 16, 2022 - 6:31 PM

I timed my 2 week vacation to a long weekend. It was a bit of a rush but we got it all in and back to work on time. Over the years we did it 4 or 5 more times but the first one was the best.

Cowellian June 16, 2022 - 5:15 PM

A few years ago, we took a road trip from Nashville to the Bay Area to visit our grandbabies and their Mommy and Daddy. Along the way, we travelled through 26 states, shopping in at least one quilt shop in every state. We filled up an NPS Passport book and soaked up salt water in the Pacific and Gulf of Mexico. We covered 10,003 miles in thirty days.

Chris June 16, 2022 - 6:56 PM

Summer of 85. I was entering my Senior year in college. I had been working part-time throughout the school year and saved most of my tips. I got a Eurail train pass and headed to Paris. Got a super cheap R/T airfare from a Charter Airline. Visited 11 countries in six weeks. Saw the Berlin Wall, wonderful museums. great cuisine, met awesome backpackers, Colesium of Rome, Swiss Apls, and visited relatives in Holland.

Pookie June 17, 2022 - 8:27 AM

Camping on the Feather River!

Justifiable languor June 17, 2022 - 8:47 AM

As a child, I went to the beach several times a year. I still drop in regularly, in my thoughts. As an adult, I got the same feeling of wild freedom along the Steep Ravine Trail to Stinson. Whereby I was rewarded with a cold splash into the ocean. Body surfing! Never even one nibble from a shark. 😬

Cyn June 17, 2022 - 2:00 PM

My best summer vacations are more in line with “Dawg’s” and “The Mamba’s”. Take off on our bikes in the morning and back at night for dinner. We rode places that, if we ever got hurt, the animals would eat us before anyone could ever find us. Or summers at my grandparents in Bellingham, sitting on the dock and feeding the ducks on Lake Whatcom. My grandmother always had many loaves for her grandchildren. And then every Labor Day, Shasta Lake. The best of times.

Comments are closed.