Home » The Water Cooler – Appliances In Your Home – Which One Works The Best, And Which One Is The Worst?

by CLAYCORD.com
22 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

QUESTION: Think about all the appliances inside your home. (fridge, washer, dryer, oven, stove, microwave, dishwasher, etc.). Which one works the best, and which one works the worst?

Talk about it….

22 comments

Dawg January 5, 2023 - 1:16 PM - 1:16 PM

My house was built in 1964 and still has the original stove, but the best has to be the Amana refrigerator, I bought it in 1995, and it’s still going strong. The second best is the Kenmore clothes washer, It’s also pretty old, and still has a lot of life in it. The worst is my new Cuisinart toaster. It works good and does a good job of making toast, but it’s too quiet. I like to hear the buzzing sound when a toaster starts to toast, that way, I know it’s on. With this one, if I don’t push the lever down hard enough, it doesn’t turn on, so I’ll walk away and return in a minute or two only to find out it isn’t on. It also doesn’t make a sound when the toast pops up.

CLAYCORD.com January 5, 2023 - 1:28 PM - 1:28 PM

@Dawg – That’s amazing that you still have the original stove. I bought a fridge 3 years ago and it’s already leaking freon (Kenmore). The Kenmore washer and dryer have been excellent but they’re on their last legs.

Cyn January 5, 2023 - 1:59 PM - 1:59 PM

Many moons ago Sears was offering a washer/dryer set for $500.00 and I went to buy it; ended up spending over $1,100 for a Kenmore heavy-duty set. Those wonderful machines worked so well and lasted 27 years. Recently purchased another Kenmore set online and returned it after two days (appeared to be cheaply made and looked like it). Then purchased a heavy-duty Samsung washer/dryer set. The washer has no agitator and it turns clothes into knots, (as did the Kenmore that I returned). The dryer has way too much eco-friendly crap and takes too long to dry clothes, even when that crap is turned off. All this new stuff is so much worse and as the saying goes: “they sure don’t make-em like they used to”.

CLAYCORD.com January 5, 2023 - 2:13 PM - 2:13 PM

@Cyn – I’ve been hearing that about the washers without agitators.

Cyn January 5, 2023 - 7:11 PM - 7:11 PM

The first time it happened I thought I may have loaded the machine incorrectly or something, but NOPE……..it happens all the time.

Cyn January 5, 2023 - 2:13 PM - 2:13 PM

The best machine is probably our Maytag dishwasher. Man, does that thing ever clean, and on the normal setting and not the “bells and whistles” setting.

Ricardoh January 5, 2023 - 4:32 PM - 4:32 PM

We have one of them and my wife uses the cheap setting and then complains it doesn’t clean. I gave up on telling her.

Cyn January 5, 2023 - 7:00 PM - 7:00 PM

@Ricardoh
Lol.

Exit 12A January 5, 2023 - 1:39 PM - 1:39 PM

Best: Quasar Microwave circa 1996. It has been bulletproof.
Worst: Kenmore Dryer…its fill cycle sometimes engages while spinning. Its load sensor goes out every few years such that I have that $70 spare part on-hand at all times. I hope that part doesn’t become obsolete!!!

Quin January 5, 2023 - 1:58 PM - 1:58 PM

Worst: Samsung oven. The stove is gas and works exactly like it should, but the oven cycles temps like wild (instead of holding a steady temp, it’s made to cycle so it averages but that’s not great for baking) and it makes really load little songs when it’s preheated. Previously I’ve had washers and dryers that did that, but truly the oven is too far. It’s also “smart” so there’s an app you can use to set it remotely, but as a safety feature you still need to get up and hit a button on the oven to actually turn it on. I struggle to imagine a scenario where it’s actually helpful to get everyone set up (AKA temp and how long it should be on) but you still need to get up to turn it on to even start preheating. Just make those options available on the oven itself! You can’t set it to turn off after a set time except from your phone.

Best: KitchenAid mixer. It just does what it’s supposed to do, and we have the 6 quart style with the fixed head that rises instead of tilting. Truly a game changer for making fluffy cakes or kneading bread.

Cyn January 5, 2023 - 7:17 PM - 7:17 PM

@Quin
Like your oven, my washer/dryer set also plays little tunes when they’re finished. Must be a Samsung thing. And I totally forgot about my mixer………you sure can’t beat those KitchenAid motors. 🙂

Simonpure January 5, 2023 - 2:04 PM - 2:04 PM

Bought an old fridge (our first) from a neighbor while still living in Orange. Got it in 1982 and it was old then. Have it in the garage still kicking. Probably costing me a fortune to run but I have to see just how long it will last. Only bad part is you have to defrost it once in a while. The worst currently is our floor furnace. Only works halfway since the last long rain. Home was built in 1943.

The Mamba January 5, 2023 - 3:00 PM - 3:00 PM

My garage fridge is the best, can’t remember where it came from but it indestructible. The worst is the LG fridge in the kitchen which has broken down twice since we bought it 3 years ago, it has a known design flaw that an LG technician had to come out and replace do to bad construction and said there’s thousands of them out there like that.

Antonius January 5, 2023 - 3:19 PM - 3:19 PM

I have a garage beer fridge made by SHARP which I got out of a junk pile In Japan in 1977. 30 inches high x 18 inches wide and deep. Best cold beer in town.

The Fearless Spectator January 5, 2023 - 5:22 PM - 5:22 PM

Our high tech LG refrigerator is nice but every time we use the ice maker it opens the garage door. Alright, I made that one up.
Absolutely true however, the refrigerator has an led that lights up an “ open” script on the floor when you approach. When you step on it the door opens hands free. Unfortunately our dog figured this out in the first week. She thinks it’s great fun.
Our best appliance is a 1985 Denon Turntable. Strings and horns sound unbelievable.

Gittyup January 5, 2023 - 7:57 PM - 7:57 PM

Just about everything opens my garage door except my garage door opener and I’m not making that up! LOL! My best is a small Krups Espresso machine that also steams milk, a gift from a friend, and it makes fabulous specialty espresso drinks to rival Starbuck’s. The worst is a Panasonic microwave. Heats so erratically it has actually caught bacon on fire.

MoJo January 5, 2023 - 6:05 PM - 6:05 PM

The worst would have to be the 2 year old Samsung front loading washing machine that imploded in our laundry room. It threw the drum right through the top of the machine. Sounded like a bomb went off. The best appliances are the old ones we still use. A 30 year old Sears freezer in the garage is still working perfectly and a 25 year old Whirlpool fridge also in the garage works great. The new whirlpool fridge in the kitchen not so much. Seems like everything new is programmed to fail so we have to buy another.

Chris January 5, 2023 - 8:38 PM - 8:38 PM

Washer and Dryer both GE. Purchased both at Circut City in 1994. Washer just died and replaced it with another GE but doesn’t appear to clean the clothes as well. Dryer still going strong! Whirlpool over the range microwave top of the line purchased when we had our kitchen remodeled in 2016. Lasted all of 3 years! Complete garbage. Replaced it in 2019

Bella January 5, 2023 - 9:06 PM - 9:06 PM

Worst, Kitchen-Aid Dishwasher. Fell Apart. Had it for approximately three years since the re-do of my kitchen. Bad choice. Love my stove. So, remembered what my Dentist in Walnut Creek advised. Go to Freidman’s Appliance in Pleasant Hill. I did, walked in said to the two men standing there chatting. Hi, I need a dishwasher, show me what you have. Roger Haase was my go-to guy. Did me right. From Clayton, I looked at four, chose the high-end Miele for my needs. After chats about who we knew, got what I wanted and I’m loving it.

Bella January 5, 2023 - 9:22 PM - 9:22 PM

And, I love my “Drop In” Range Black I had put in three years ago in this unique farm home that’s a GE. Works great.

domo January 6, 2023 - 7:46 AM - 7:46 AM

Best – ties between my 1977 original GE stove top & double oven and Sears 1984 washer & dryer…. worst – Kitchen Aid dishwasher, although not horrible the dish rack parts are not very sturdy

Fed Up January 6, 2023 - 3:43 PM - 3:43 PM

Best – KitchenAid Induction cooktop. We will never have a non-induction again…so much better than gas and safer too.

Comments are closed.