Home » The Water Cooler – Should More Stores Have “Scan & Go” So You Can Skip The Checkout Line?

by CLAYCORD.com
22 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Sam’s Club has a feature on their app called “Scan & Go,” where you can scan items in the store as you put them in your cart, then pay for them on the app when you’re done, and just walk out (an employee checks your receipt on the way out).

Do you think other stores should use a “Scan & Go” feature, and if so, would you use it, or would you rather checkout the traditional way?

Talk about it….

22 comments

Chicken Little January 18, 2023 - 12:41 PM - 12:41 PM

I would totally do that, but I think it has a huge potential for “shrinkage”. There’s no way somebody can check every item in every cart against the receipt, so people will hide things they don’t want to pay for.

I think it would be better if you had to swipe your card (or scan a QR code on your cart) when you enter the store, and sensors could just read RF tags on all your items and charge you when you exit. I’m sure the technology already exists.

Roz January 18, 2023 - 12:50 PM - 12:50 PM

That would be very convenient for a lot of people, since there are some stores with long checkout lines.
It might even cut down the number of employees, clerks, …. not good to cut the work force.
I wouldn’t use the Scan & Go, since we don’t use cell phones and or debit/credit card.

Simonpure January 18, 2023 - 5:36 PM - 5:36 PM

I’m with you on this one sis…

Dorothy January 18, 2023 - 12:51 PM - 12:51 PM

Seems to me that there are people already walking out the stores without bothering to scan and just go. I’m all for standing in line to keep someone employed.

AJR January 18, 2023 - 3:00 PM - 3:00 PM

That’s really sweet of you.
Speaking as someone employed, if this gets me out of the store sooner, than I am all for it!
I think we’d all like to spend our non-working time doing enjoyable activities, not standing in line.

The Fearless Spectator January 18, 2023 - 8:26 PM - 8:26 PM

Shoplifting may get you out of the store sooner, but I don’t recommend it.

domo January 18, 2023 - 12:55 PM - 12:55 PM

..not around here… theft is bad enough … that we pay for

S January 18, 2023 - 1:08 PM - 1:08 PM

only if it is guaranteed they will actually WORK !

Vandy January 18, 2023 - 1:10 PM - 1:10 PM

I want to just be able to think about what I want and a flying drone shows up with it a few minutes later. Coming soon!

SAM January 18, 2023 - 1:16 PM - 1:16 PM

No. Everyone trying to rely on technology when the WEF is threatening a cyber shutdown. It reminds me of the push to get rid of gas stoves and gas cars when they can keep the electricity flowing and affordable. Technology is a false god. Better wake up.

Original G January 18, 2023 - 2:17 PM - 2:17 PM

When that big orange store first started self check out they had a young lady suggesting people use it.
Told her I don’t believe in putting people out of work, she very quietly Thanked me.
I’ll walk to opposite end of a store to be checked out by a human.
Do you actually believe a share holder owned business is going to pass on their savings to customers ? ? ? Fewer employees makes their bottom line better, makes for higher stock dividends, stock price goes up and managers get larger bonuses, all while they are firing people.
An what if fired employees end up on public assistance, . . . . who pays then ? ? ?
So what come first your fellow man, or “your” “convenience” ? ? ? ? ?
An making it “convenient” for you means they now have a new ready made product to sell ! !
Who you are, what you bought, how often, to sell to information brokers.
Imagine being denied life insurance or a job due to unhealthy food choices . . .
You become another product for them to profit off of.

Cowellian January 18, 2023 - 3:37 PM - 3:37 PM

The Scan & Go app, described above, is different than self-checkout. Kroger replaced almost all of its cashiers with self-checkout lanes, so I replaced Kroger with Publix.

Dawg January 18, 2023 - 2:34 PM - 2:34 PM

No, I would not use it. I think it would be naive, and foolish to put my banking information on my phone. They’re called smartphones for a reason, the phone is smarter than most of the users.

TTD January 18, 2023 - 2:58 PM - 2:58 PM

I personally like to have a cashier check me out; however, more and more of them are becoming too slow and I can get the job done faster by going in the self check out lane

Cowellian January 18, 2023 - 3:32 PM - 3:32 PM

The only place I use Scan & Go is Sam’s Club, and that is a direct result of the lockdown. The line was all the way back to the milk cooler room and was barely moving. I was able to download the app, checkout, and bypass about 90% of the line. Other stores, including Walmart, offer their own Scan & Go apps, but I don’t bother with them.

Captain Bebops January 18, 2023 - 3:50 PM - 3:50 PM

I think some store workers would rather stock shelves than do check-out. I especially have seen this with express lane checkers where things get so redundant one feels like a robot. Stocking shelves you don’t need to deal with the public so much.

Ricardoh January 18, 2023 - 4:01 PM - 4:01 PM

Hadn’t been in Costco for awhile but I used the new self checkout line and the guy working the line scanned everything I had. Was out in no time.

Martinezmike January 18, 2023 - 4:49 PM - 4:49 PM

I’ve noticed another system called Scam & Go. It involves no payment and works in stores throughout California

Exit 12A January 18, 2023 - 6:50 PM - 6:50 PM

I believe self check-out is a happy medium between a cashier line and “scan & go”.
The latter is simply rife with the potential for theft. And retail theft is not a victimless crime: prices go up, quality-of-life goes down, criminal acts beget other criminal acts, businesses leave, etc.

Cellophane January 18, 2023 - 7:52 PM - 7:52 PM

Scan and Go?

Scan and Go customers should get a discount for the wages the store saves.

The Mamba January 19, 2023 - 11:21 AM - 11:21 AM

I don’t use them, but sure. If it means less people in line for me, great.

Saynogo January 19, 2023 - 12:39 PM - 12:39 PM

Yes! I love only paying for half my items! Inflation Buster!

Comments are closed.