Home » The Water Cooler – When You Were A Kid, What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

by CLAYCORD.com
30 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

QUESTION: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Talk about it….

30 comments

Roz January 19, 2023 - 1:41 PM - 1:41 PM

As a kid, my Sicilian Grandmother, taught me how to sew without been able to speak any English.
A Seamstress. Sewing Machines are Magical.

Hanne Jeppesen January 19, 2023 - 4:01 PM - 4:01 PM

I have a lot of respect for people that can sew. When I went to school in rural Denmark we had to learn how to sew and knit. The first knitting project was SOCKS, can you imagine how excited it is for 8 year old girls to knit socks! I hated sewing even more. My mother was an expert knitter, she did sweaters for my dad and I often with complicated patterns. When my daughter was little I knitted a few sweaters for her, now I only do scarves and baby blankets, it is so easy and still enjoyable. I did try to sew curtain for my daugthers bedroom when she was born, I did okay, but didn’t really like it, so that was it.

Cyn January 19, 2023 - 8:25 PM - 8:25 PM

@Roz
Like Hanne, I also have a lot of respect for people that can sew (and you posted the perfect link). As of now, you’ve received two thumbs down……must be nudists.

S January 20, 2023 - 9:37 AM - 9:37 AM

does anyone darn socks any more?
Not since my kids were little…….

Hanne Jeppesen January 20, 2023 - 1:17 PM - 1:17 PM

Darning socks was very common when I was growing up. Winter socks were made of wool, and wool was expensive and I guess so were socks. My mother knitted beautiful white knee socks for me. I have a picture taken at a photograph studio wearing a nice dress with white knee socks (the had a pattern, cable and holes, not sure of what it is called in English) I was about 5 years old. Now socks are so inexpensive so and made of different material, darning does not make sense.

this_that January 19, 2023 - 2:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Governor of California, with free choice of which expensive restaurants to throw parties during a pandemic.

Exit 12A January 19, 2023 - 2:05 PM - 2:05 PM

Grown up?
I don’t know how I’m supposed to act “grown up”.
I’ve never been this old before.

The Wizard January 19, 2023 - 2:15 PM - 2:15 PM

The Mayor of Claycord

CLAYCORD.com January 19, 2023 - 2:15 PM - 2:15 PM

Hey, Thanks! 🙂

Dawg January 19, 2023 - 2:15 PM - 2:15 PM

A bus driver. When I was a kid in San Francisco, I would ride the bus to and from school. I’d stand near the driver, and it seemed like a fun job, steering a big bus with a big steering wheel. I also thought about being a teacher.

Original G January 19, 2023 - 2:22 PM - 2:22 PM

Grow up ? ? ? ?
Am on second childhood with much larger allowance and there’s still,
NO ADULT SUPERVISION

S January 19, 2023 - 2:28 PM - 2:28 PM

…I’m a Toys R Us Kid.

bored@work January 19, 2023 - 2:33 PM - 2:33 PM

An adult. Dumbest thing I’ve ever done!

Pete Malloy January 19, 2023 - 2:35 PM - 2:35 PM

A peace officer 🚔

Dorothy January 19, 2023 - 3:02 PM - 3:02 PM

Librarian! All those lovely books.

ClayDen January 19, 2023 - 3:29 PM - 3:29 PM

I wanted to be an aerospace engineer and work for NASA; I did both. I worked on both airplanes and space projects.

Hanne Jeppesen January 19, 2023 - 3:45 PM - 3:45 PM

Rich and famous, although even before I realized that the latter probably would not happen, the second, it has been up and down, very comfortable when I was married, okay after my divorce, again up and down, but pretty okay. One thing I did not want was to be the wife of a small farmer where I grew up in Denmark. That was tough the wife ended up working in the fields, milking the cows, and they could kick, if they got upset. Coming to the US as an au pair in my early twenties was about as far away from the cows I could get. Before any animal lover get upset with me about the cows, I love all animals, cows and calf are very cute, I just never wanted to milk one.

jprcards January 19, 2023 - 3:47 PM - 3:47 PM

When I was a kid I wanted to be a baseball player…..As an adult I still want to be a baseball player.

vandyposh January 19, 2023 - 4:24 PM - 4:24 PM

I wanted to be a Paralegal or a Flight Attendant. I can’t imagine being a Flight Attendant today.

Dreamer January 19, 2023 - 4:30 PM - 4:30 PM

I had always wanted to be a ballerina, but my parents wanted something much more academic. I wasn’t ever allowed to take dance lessons. In middle school I wanted to be a criminal trial lawyer, but in college I changed to being a teacher. Loved it!!

domo January 19, 2023 - 5:17 PM - 5:17 PM

Astronaut

domo January 19, 2023 - 5:17 PM - 5:17 PM

..oppps or oceanographer

The Fearless Spectator January 19, 2023 - 5:44 PM - 5:44 PM

A Beatle, or a race car driver. I managed to have moderate success at the latter. I still listen to the Beatles frequently, and I can still sing “ When I’m sixty four” as I’m not there yet.

jprcards January 19, 2023 - 6:18 PM - 6:18 PM

I play along with Love Me Do on the harmonica and I’m pretty good……everybody else thinks I suck but they don’t know what they’re talking about.

April January 19, 2023 - 7:36 PM - 7:36 PM

I wanted to be a chef when I was younger. I ended up switching gears in my late 20’s and went to culinary school. Awesome choice!! 10 out of 10 would do it again!

reekorizzo January 20, 2023 - 3:40 AM - 3:40 AM

I didn’t know and I still don’t know!

Well Folks January 20, 2023 - 8:27 AM - 8:27 AM

A fashion designers. I used to draw some crazy looking outfits in crazy colors.
Well that didn’t happen. I settle for a career that paid bills and provided a retirement. How dull

TheGOM January 20, 2023 - 11:33 AM - 11:33 AM

I didn’t know but I knew it would be something amazing. Now I am a professional DJ absolutely KILLIN IT.

FPN January 20, 2023 - 10:09 PM - 10:09 PM

Speaking of darning socks, I have my Grandmother’s sock darner. It’s made of wood with a handle attached to what looks like a wooden hockey puck. It is painted black. I have once or twice, just for fun tried darning socks. The results not so good.

Hanne Jeppesen January 21, 2023 - 11:42 AM - 11:42 AM

I remember that tool for darning socks. You describe it very well. Darning socks is even more boring than knitting socks.

Comments are closed.