Monument Impact is picking up the pieces after a Sunday night fire destroyed part of its Keller House office in Concord.
The community-based nonprofit — whose mission statement says it is dedicated to building skills, resources and power within immigrant, refugee and low-income communities — said on social media that during Sunday’s powerful storm, a homeless person had camped out under the porch and lit a fire to stay warm in the intense storm.
The high winds accidentally spread the fire to the building, destroying the back office and leaving the space unsafe for staff and community members.
No one was hurt.
“The Keller House is a popular site for people to walk in for assistance and questions, especially when they don’t have access to a computer,” Monument Impact wrote on social media. “We hope to rebuild Keller House as soon as possible to have the space available for community members to walk in and talk to our staff directly about housing support and services.”
“We’re working with the City of Concord to rebuild and re-open our Keller House office for community members to walk-in as soon as possible. To offset unexpected office rental costs for a temporary office in Concord, we are launching a fundraising campaign with the goal of raising $6,000 by the end of the month,” the nonprofit said. “We hope you can support however you can. Thank you in advance.”
Monument Impact has a fundraising page at this link.